Rabbit With Mustard Sauce

We've been enjoying farm fresh milk, eggs and produce from My Dad & Me Family Farm for months now, and one of the other things they raise and sell are fryer rabbits. I have never eaten or prepared a rabbit before but my husband has so I figured I'd give it a try!

Kenneth is home for a couple weeks on medical leave so this seemed like a good time to bring one up from the freezer and try out a recipe. I searched allrecipes for something that looked like we would enjoy it and that I had all the correct ingredients for! We settled on Rabbit with Mustard. I read through the reviews and decided to fix it in the crock pot since I had time.

The original recipe is below, the tweaks I made: I used chicken broth instead of white wine and 1 large onion cut into wedges instead of 4 small onions. I sliced 4 pieces of center cut bacon in three and layed that over the whole rabbit in the crock pot. I didn't use a full 3 TBS of mustard, I just spread some on top and rubbed it in along with the salt and pepper. I added about 6 garlic cloves as well. I skipped the oil since I did it in the crock pot. I squeezed about 1/2 an orange over the dish about 30 minutes before we were planning to eat. I also finished the rabbit by putting it on a broiler pan and cooking it it under the broiler on "lo" for about 20-25 minutes to crisp up the bacon and brown the rabbit up a little.

In the crockpot, before cooking.

Tender and crispy!

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the taste of rabbit, it is different than what I'm used to for sure, but I think this dish was really good! The way the bacon cooked over the side of the rabbit gave it really good flavor. I think I'd try rabbit in a stew next time just because of all the bones!! I will definitely try cooking with rabbit again and think this was a good "introduction" to it!

Rabbit with Mustard By: Jose Miguel

Ingredients
  • 1 (2 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 4 small onions
  • 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 orange
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Season the rabbit with salt and pepper, and spread the mustard onto it. Place into a Dutch oven, and pour the oil and white wine around it. Then put in the small onions and sprinkle with the bacon pieces.
  3. Bake covered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove lid and turn rabbit pieces over. Squeeze some juice from the orange over. Return to the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until rabbit is tender. Serve with sliced orange and mashed potato. Bon Appetite!!!

Comments

Popular Posts